FAQ: Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Am I too young or too old to fly?

You can start flying at any time, as long as you can comfortably reach the aircraft controls. There is no minimum age requirement to start taking flying lessons. However, you must be at least 14 years old to obtain a Student Pilot Permit which allows you to fly without an instructor on board (solo). Student Pilot Permit – you must be at least 14 years old. Recreational Pilot Permit – you must be at least 16 years old. Private Pilot Licence – you must be at least 17 years old. Commercial Pilot Licence – you must be at least 18 years old.

When is a good time to start my training?

The best time to start training is the time that suits you. The best weather is early March through October. Winter weather still makes great flying but it's colder, of course. Lots of sunny days in Manitoba Winter season.

What is the weather like for flying?

The climate for flying is exceptionally great! Best in Canada! In a normal year, we’ll encounter over 250 great flying days. It is uncommon to have more than 2 days of terrible climate in a push. An assortment of climate encounter is vital for a student pilot. The most exceedingly bad climate is in November, the leading climate is from March to October. Flying only in one type of weather conditions is not what you are going to experience as a Commercial Pilot.

Do I need to complete ground school before starting my flight training?

No, the best way to complete ground school is at the same time as your flying, ground school is not required to start flying.

Do I need to pass a fitness test? What if I wear glasses?

You will need to pass a medical before you can be issued a Student Pilot Permit. However, we recommend that you obtain verbal confirmation that you qualify for an aviation doctor before registering. The license or rating that you wish to pursue will determine what type of medical you will need. Pilots can wear glasses or contact lenses as long as their vision is within the standards set out by Transport Canada. Please check with your aviation doctor for the requirements.

What are the types of medical?

Category 1 Medical – If you wish to become a Commercial Pilot, you will need a Category 1 medical. This is issued by a CAME Doctor (Canadian Aviation Medical Examiner). Category 3 Medical – Required for the Private Pilot Licence, this medical exam must be conducted by a CAME Doctor just like the Category 1 medical. Category 4 Medical – This is a medical declaration that you fill out and have your family physician sign. Once it is completed, you mail it to Transport Canada, and they will issue your medical certificate. The medical certificates are not valid for life but must be renewed periodically by visiting an aviation doctor, or your family physician. How long your medical is valid depends on the medical category as well as your age. Any questions regarding the medical requirements should be directed to a CAME doctor, or you can visit www.tc.gc.ca

Do I need any special courses or skills?

Everything that you will need to know in order to obtain your license will be taught here at the school. If you are still in school and you are thinking about a career in aviation, then you may want to consider subjects that concentrate on math and physics. There is no course pre-requisite to becoming a pilot if you choose to fly for fun or in our self paced Commercial Program.

How long does it take to complete a license?

The answer to that question largely depends on you. Some people have completed their PPL in as little as two months, while others take a few years. The more regularly you fly, and the more prepared you are for your lessons, the faster you will be able to complete your license. To ensure that your dual flight training is most effective, you should schedule 0.5 hours for your Preparatory ground briefing before each new flight lesson.

When can I start flying?  Can I fly while I am still taking the ground school?

You can start flying at any time. We highly recommend that you have the appropriate medical conducted before you start investing a great deal of time and money into flying. This is to avoid any disappointment in the event you aren’t able to pass the medical exam. Some students prefer to complete all of the ground school prior to starting any of the flyings, while others prefer to do both at the same time. Some of the classes will be easier to understand and follow if you have been in the aircraft a few times, but it is not necessary.

Do we have a dress code?

Yes. You need to wear pilot shirt and badge. We follow this rule strictly.

Where do our graduates go after learning to fly?

Our students become commuter pilots, relief pilots, corporate pilots, bush pilots, ag pilots, mission pilots, airline pilots, instructor pilots, and recreational pilots. The sky’s the limit. Pilots are in demand.